2013 Magic Moments returns to Little Current, Croker Island,

and Kagawong to see Angle Falls.

  Fred with Paul aboard "Restless Wind" are traveling with us and Lori will join Fred in Tobermory while Paul takes her car home. 

July 6th, 2013 TRYC to Sarnia Yacht Club About 50 miles traveled
What can I say about motoring for 10 hours?  It was a nice day but we are glad arrive at Sarnia Yacht Club and shut down the Perkins.


July 7th, 2013 Sarnia YC to Kincardine, Ontario About 81 miles traveled
  6:10 AM  Left Sarnia YC early to ensure a daylight arrival at Kincardine. 

  7:45 AM  Hazy-no wind-6.6 knots @2100 RPM

  Noon   A bit of rain,  My enclosure is starting to pay off.

  6:15 PM  Tied up safe and sound in Kincardine


July 8th    
About 3:00 A.M. I awoke with an incredible pain in my side, I remembered this pain from a previous bout with Kidney stones, so a call to the local hospital and I walked about 3/4 of a mile to the emergency clinic.  An IV and some drugs, and eventually they released me at about 9 am.

As it was late and I was tired from not sleeping we decided to stay the day.  Lori has joined up with us and Paul has headed home by car.


July 9th, 2013 Kincardine to Tobermory About 70 miles traveled
6:10 am  It is a hazy day

9:30 am  About 40 miles to the entrance to Devil's channel.

2:00 pm  Hot and hazy, no wind, about 12 miles to the mark

5:30 pm   After some dense fog that forced us to reduce speed to a crawl, we felt our way from marker bouy to bouy as we made it through the Devil's Channel  and into Little Tub Harbour.

After 3 days of running I am thrilled that my winter work replacing the rear seal on the Perkins has resulted in no oil drips.  It appears that my oil consumption was all drips and the engine does not "burn" oil.


July 10th, 2013    
So my pain pills have worn off, I'm in a lot of pain, and the wind is blowing, It's rough out there.  So I find a good Samaritan to drive me 45 minutes to Lion's Head Medical clinic for more fun with stones. Naturally our new friend regaled us with his medical history with kidney stones as big as peas.  The nice doctor prescribed me some " high test " pills that the pharmacist suggested I just take half at a time :-)  I don't recall the ride back to the boat.  Slept the rest of the day away in a drugged haze.  The doctor has me watching my temperature and if it rises I have to find medical care.


July 11th, 2013 Little Tub to Snug Harbour About 45.5 miles traveled
8:10  The wind is still blowing from yesterday at about 15 knots on the nose, but we are motoring north to Snug Harbour. 

4:30  We arrive at Snug and make a cautious approach  after scuffing the bottom last year.  We hiked around and enjoyed ourselves.

          fired up the BB'Q


July 12th, 2013 Snug Harbour to Beaver Bay About 12 miles traveled
1:15 PM   A late departure from Snug Harbour in beautiful sunshine.

3:30 PM  Anchored in Beaver Bay which is on the South East side of Strawberry Island.

         Spent the afternoon cooling off in the shallows, scrubbed clean the dinghy, threw some meat on the BB'Q.

         Nice day.

         Calm night at anchor.


July 13th, 2013 Beaver Bay to Little Current About 5 miles traveled
9:00 AM    Anchor up,  boy was it dug in, glad for the windlass.

10:00 Am   Oh poop, we just missed the 10 o'clock bridge opening, so now we do donuts for an hour till the next bridge opening at 11:00.

11:05 AM  Tied up at Wally's for diesel fuel and a holding tank pump out, then to the town of Little Currents town docks.

                    Sometime in the afternoon the pain returned and I walked to the Hospital were they checked me out and ordered me to return Monday for a  full ultrasound  and X-rays.  So we are staying in Little Current for 2 days,  So we stroll the docks, and loaf around.  It seems every skipper on the dock has his own kidney stone story...their tales of agony are not helping.

Fred and Lori decide to head out for Gore Bay on their own tomorrow and we agree to meet up again at Croker Island.


July 16th, 2013 Little Current to Kagawong About 15 miles
11:15 AM   We head out of Little Current with more pills and firm instructions to watch my temperature.  No wind.

2:20 PM     Arrive at the dock in Kagawong. Not a lot of room here, but you could anchor out if the wind was not from the north.

                   Walked to Angel Falls, we followed the path along  stream and enjoyed a shady stroll to the falls, really a very pretty place.

                   We also checked out the museum which has some nice artifacts  


July 17th, 2013 Kagawong to Croker Island Harbour About 10 miles traveled
11:20   Cleared the docks and hoisted the Mainsail and unfurled the Genoa and shut down the engine.  We are SAILING  !!! finally

12:00 noon   Under full sail and making some speed  7+ knots

1:30  PM      Furled the sails and motored past Secretary Is and into Croker's inner harbour.  Anchored beside Restless Wind at 2:00 pm.

                     Weather calls for a bit of wind tonight so we set a second anchor with the dinghy and also a 2nd line to shore.  Good thing we did as it

                    Blew hard twice during the night.


July 18th, 2013 anchored at Croker Island  
We spent the day hiking the island, taking photos and picking Blue Berries.  Took the dinghy to the beach at the North end of the bay.  Just a lazy day, no kidney pain.


July 19th, 2013 Croker Is to Little Current About 17 miles traveled
8:30   Anchor up and off to Little Current

9:00   Squall with wind of 20 knots and gust to 30+ and heavy rain  hit us as we passed between Amedroz and Clapperton islands,  I was happy to get into the open water of West Bay and heading east.

9:30    It appears the worst is past and things have calmed down, the full enclosure really was nice, Fred got soaked.

10:00    Visibility is improving, wind is calmer.

11:15     Tied up at Little Current town docks.


July 20th, 2013 Little Current to Heywood Island About 6 miles traveled
10:30 AM     left the dock and went to Wally's for a pump out.

11:00 AM      Caught the bridge and headed to Heywood Island.

12:15 PM       Anchor down at Heywood,  lazy day.  Dinghy over to the east end of the bay to meet up with Bill & Sharon aboard "Manana" another TRYC boat that was traveling with the  "Trailer Sailers" 

July 21st, 2013 Lazy day anchored  
                      Spent the day anchored at Heywood Island
July 22nd, 2013 Heywood Is. to Tobermory About 51 miles traveled
7:10     Motored out of Heywood harbour and into the North Channel, once even with Badgely light we turned south and motor sailed past Smith Bay toward Tobermory.  As we passed Club island I wished we had time to stop for a few days and explore...next year?

2:00 PM   Wind is calm and shifting to on the nose, so motoring south.

3:15 PM    Arrived at Little Tub.


July 23rd, 2013 Strong wind day  
Wind is 25 to 30 knots so we are staying put,  the harbour master moved us further into the harbour as the dock we were at was too rough.

Spent the day as tourists, took the tour of Flower Pot Island.


July 24th, 2013 Little Tub to Kincardine About 70 miles traveled
7:30 AM   Off we go, west through the Devil's Channel, then south.  The lake is a bit lumpy from the wind yesterday, but not bad.  Auto helm is still working.

                  The cool wind is making me glad I spent some time sewing.

6:00 PM     Arrived at Kincardine.  Dinner out, and watched the piper signal the sun to set.


July 25th, 2013 Kincardine to Sarnia Bay Marina About 81 miles traveled
6:30 AM         Left Kincardine

7:00  AM        Unfurled the Genoa, close hauled.

9:00  AM        I have been motor sailing at 7 to 7.3 for  2 hours, great!

9:50 AM         Wind is calming, furled the sail and revved up the motor.

12: noon         No wind, flat water, calm, motoring at 6.75 knots @ 2100 RPM

4:00 PM         Motor sailing again.

6:45 PM        Tied to the dock at Sarnia Bay Marina and ready for a meal out.


July 26th, 2013 Sarnia to TRYC About 50 miles traveled
7:30 AM         Our last day,  motoring with the current is much faster. 

2:30 PM          Tied to our slip at TRYC    Vacation is over  :-(  

                        But with the replacement of the oil seal I only used about 1/2 litre of oil! after running the engine 96 hours...

Main index page

   Endeavour owners website  www.endeavourowners.com    Thames River Yacht Club   www.thamesriveryachtclub.org